The amazing story of two 40-something women on the path to matrimonial bliss

It just keeps getting better...

Thursday, March 31, 2011

I'm a Doo-doo Head and You're a Doo-doo Head


I told Teri that she can be a doo-doo head (boy howdie!) but me?  Seriously?  As I like to say, "Flexibility" is my middle name! Teri points out that if I have to keep telling everyone that is my middle name, than it must not be so.  The point is--we are not always the easiest people to get along with and sometimes very human things like crabbiness, anger, annoyance, frustration and irritation pop up and take over.

I have also shared with Teri that things would go a great deal smoother between us if she would A. Do what it is I want her to and B. Anticipate what that might be.  Well, "Ditto" is what she has to say to that!  The fact is, living with anyone can be both fantastic and challenging.  I don't think it is a horrible chore to be endured, but I do think there are moments when peace and harmony may not be the order of they day.

Lately, we have started watching Mad Men-- (a television series) and one of the elements that we talk about (among many) is how trapped all the characters are by rigid stereotypes and imposed limits on who and what they can be.  Expressing oneself was not the way things were done in the fifties and early sixties.  Heck, I have been in relationships and jobs in my life where I wasn't heard or able to express myself as a full, flawed and complicated human being!  One of the things I absolutely love about being with Teri is that I can express myself without her taking it personally (and if she does personalize, she has the skills to say that out loud so we can take that into account) and she can get mad at me and think I am a doo-doo head without me thinking it is an indictment of the entire relationship.

The truth is, however, I am NOT actually a doo-doo head...ever...

No comments:

Post a Comment